Care of Jade and Bone Carvings
Care of Bone Carving:
- Your bone carving is highly polished bone. It is porous material and over time will absorb oils from your skin turning to a soft honey gold color. This is normal and one of the beauties of Bone Carvings.
- To bring back shine on your carving simply buff it with a soft cloth.
- Don't spill colored liquids onto the bone. These liquids will penetrate the bone.
- Bone is very hard material can also be brittle and will break or chip if dropped onto hard surfaces.
- Check condition of the cord often. Soap and heat will strip the wax from the cord and any bindings making them soft and prone to failure. TAKE OFF CARVING WHEN SHOWERING.
- If swimming with the carving it then allowing in to dry in sun is also not good for the bone carving.
- STAINED bone should not be worn in shower or swimming.
- Handle carving often as the oils from your skin will keep the carving in good condition and protect it from the elements.
Care of your Jade Carving:
- Jade is very hard material can also be brittle and will break or chip if dropped onto hard surfaces. Jade is non-porous and quite safe to wear in the rain or when swimming as water will do no damage.
- To bring back shine on your carving simply buff it with a soft cloth. DO NOT USE HOUSEHOLD POLISHING COMPOUNDS.
- Pendant cords are strong but check the condition often and make sure bindings are nice and tight at all times
- Ancient times the high gloss polished look of bone and jade carvings was achieved by the wearer rubbing it with the hands over many months and years. Handling the carving will not only keep it nicely polished but will also allow your body oils to enter surface increasing the shine.